Hello! How are you all doing? It’s finally starting to feel a bit more like Spring around here, in Anoka as the daylight is lasting longer, and the snow is starting to melt a bit. In case you missed it, our last blog was all about some of our favorite plants, and flowers that are non-toxic to cats and dogs. (We should add that despite the fact that those plants are all non-toxic, depending on the pesticides, and fertilizers that the greenhouses use as they are growing–they could still, potentially, make your pet sick if ingested.) Today though, we thought we’d follow up our last blog with just the opposite–plants, and flowers that are toxic to pets. If you’d like a full list, please visit the ASPCA’s page but, for this blog, we’re just going to share some of the most popular spring flowers, from around the shop, that pose the biggest risk.
As always, if you’re concerned about flowers you may be sending to a loved one–give us a call directly and we can work to make sure it’s a ‘pet friendly’ arrangement. If you’re concerned that your pet may have ingested any of these plants, please call your local pet hospital.
These are super popular this time of year, and they are beautiful! Dogs don’t seem to be affected by these, if they eat them; however, if a cat does, it can actually lead to kidney failure, and even death.
Can cause diarrhea, depression, tremors and vomiting.
This one is classified as potentially toxic. Larger quantities can lead to lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea.
Ingesting these can result in intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, hypersalivation, drooling and lack of appetite
Side effects of eating this plant includes drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
This will cause your pet to vomit and have diarrhea.
Another super popular plant right now–it can cause ulcers in the mouth, diarrhea and vomiting.
While this isn’t really a ‘Spring’ plant–folks do use them more as the weather warms, and as sunburn happens more frequently. Consumption can lead to tremors, lethargy and vomiting.
ingestion of this springy flower can result in severe gastrointestinal illness, convulsions, seizures, low blood pressure and tremors.