Hello and happy April! How are you all doing? It’s finally starting to feel a bit more like Spring around here, in Anoka as the daylight is lasting longer, and the snow is almost completely gone. (There are still, a couple, dirty piles of it around though.) Lately, we’ve been so busy bringing in Spring flowers–both in dirt, and fresh cut–that we thought today we should put out a seasonal reminder about some of the most toxic flowers out there for your four-legged friends. Now, just because you may have one of these plants around, doesn’t mean your pet will automatically care about it, or magically be drawn to it. (We had a cat, and we had a lot of plants–there was never an issue, as the cat preferred bottle caps to anything. 🙂 ) Usually kittens, and puppies are more susceptible to plant poisoning–since they tend to eat almost anything–but, older animals can fall victim too. Today, we are going to highlight the most popular flowers that we have around here–that are also the most dangerous. If you’d like a full list however, please visit the ASPCA’s page.
As always, if you’re concerned about flowers you may be sending to a loved one–give us a call directly and we can work to make sure it’s a ‘pet friendly’ arrangement. If you’re concerned that your pet may have ingested any of these plants, please call your local pet hospital–we are not able to man the comments 24 hours a day (and, we would just tell you to call the vet anyway 😉 ).
These are super popular this time of year, and they are beautiful! Dogs don’t seem to be affected by these if they eat them; however, if a cat does, it can actually lead to kidney failure, and even death.
Can cause diarrhea, depression, tremors and vomiting.
This one is classified as potentially toxic. Larger quantities can lead to lethargy, vomiting and diarrhea.
Ingesting these can result in intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, hypersalivation, drooling and lack of appetite
Side effects of eating this plant includes drooling, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
This will cause your pet to vomit and have diarrhea.
Another super popular plant right now–it can cause ulcers in the mouth, diarrhea and vomiting.
While this isn’t really a ‘Spring’ plant–folks do use them more as the weather warms, and as sunburn happens more frequently. Consumption can lead to tremors, lethargy and vomiting.
ingestion of this springy flower can result in severe gastrointestinal illness, convulsions, seizures, low blood pressure and tremors.